Academic Advisor, Athletics
Job ID: 265573
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Are you ready to join a community leading in innovative teaching and learning? Kennesaw State University is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country. With our growing enrollment and global reach, we are enjoying increased prominence among Georgia's colleges. We offer more than 150 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees to over 43,000 students. Our entrepreneurial spirit, high-impact research, and Division I athletics also draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. Our university's vibrant culture, career opportunities, and rich benefits make us an employer of choice. We are searching for talented people to join our mission. Come to KSU and find your passion.
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144.
Provides academic advising services to cohort of student-athletes according to designated sport teams. Responsible for managing, counseling and monitoring assigned student-athletes throughout the college career from admission to graduation. Provides students-athletes academic support including advising and academic and athletic eligibility guidance. Responsible for communicating with faculty, staff and coaches on the academic eligibility progress of assigned student-athletes.
1. Assists students with degree and course selection to fulfill graduation requirements
2. Fosters student success through tutoring, retention, progression, and graduation initiatives
3. Documents interactions with students per established guidelines and assists in maintaining student advisement records
4. Meets weekly with academically at-risk students, and assists in implementing success strategies
5. Assesses needs for study hall and tutoring for assigned student groups and assesses utilization
6. Designs and teaches success skills to students as necessary on time management, organization skills, and strengthening study skills
7. Promotes and integrates the Flight Plan to assist student-athletes in seeking internships, and job experiences, to prepare for life after sports
8. Communicates continuously with coaches concerning academic progress and concerns of eligibility
9. Serves as liaison to campus faculty and communicates official team travel requirements and academic progress each semester
10. Participates in recruiting of student-athletes and is contact person for admission process
11. Responds to inquires or connects student-athletes to appropriate resource concerning athletic financial aid, housing, Registrar's office, Student Conduct office, Bursar's office or other obstacles that student-athletes encounter
12. Serves as a member of the NCAA certification team, and reviews eligibility status of assigned student-athletes each semester
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a related field
One (1) year of related work experience advising student-athletes or closely related profession
Additional Preferred Qualifications
Familiarity with NCAA rules and regulations concerning athletic academic eligibility (NCAA Bylaw 14)
Preferred Educational Qualifications
An advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a related field
Experience working with student-athletes or in an athletic field
Offers are based on relevant experience.
Generous benefits to include Medical, Dental, Vision, 13 paid holidays, vacation, great retirement plans, tuition waiver, wellness options, and much more. Visit https://hr.kennesaw.edu/benefits/index.php
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Able to interpret degree and/or program requirements and related university policies
Able to apply NCAA rules and regulations to the advising process
Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
Knowledge of NCAA policies and procedures of reporting Academic Progress Rate (APR) and be able to forecast potential implication of lost APR points
Must be familiar with NCAA bylaw 14 and be able to ensure students are following requirements for eligibility
Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e., Microsoft Office suite)
Strong attention to detail and follow up skills
Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
Equal Employment Opportunity
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to maintaining a fair and respectful environment for living, work and study. To that end, and in accordance with federal and state law, Board of Regents policy, and University policy, the University prohibits harassment of or discrimination against any person because of race, color, sex (including sexual harassment, pregnancy, and medical conditions related to pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity or national origin, religion, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran or military status by any member of the KSU Community on campus, in connection with a University program or activity, or in a manner that creates a hostile environment for members of the KSU community.
For additional information or to file a complaint under the provisions of this policy, students, employees, applicants for employment or admission or other third parties should contact the Office of Institutional Equity at English Building, Suite 202, firstname.lastname@example.org, or by making a report here.
This is not a supervisory position.
This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
This position will not be required to drive.
This role is considered a position of trust.
This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position may travel 1% - 24% of the time
This position does not require security clearance.
- Standard Enhanced
- 9 Panel Lab Drug
Per the University System of Georgia background check policy, all final candidates will be required to consent to a criminal background investigation. Final candidates may be asked to disclose criminal record history during the initial screening process and prior to a conditional offer of employment. Applicants for positions of trust with screening results which confirm a disqualifying criminal history will be immediately disqualified from employment eligibility.
All applicants are required to include professional references as part of their application process. Some positions may require additional job-based screenings such as motor vehicle report, credit check, pre-employment drug screening and/or verification of academic credentials.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=265573&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency